To keep myself, the land, and others safe; all members of our group agree to adhere to the following, and understand this permit is valid only under the following conditions:
1. Everyone in the group stays in the designated zone, date, and time specified in our reservation. Parking is in the guest lot; make sure to close the gate if you’re the last car out.
2. The persons named in the reservation and signed below are the only people allowed in the group. Groups are limited to a minimum of two people (no solo hiking, there is no cell service or phone at RMERC), and max of four people, coming in one or two cars, from no more than two households or cohorts (people sheltering in place together).
3. Hiking is only allowed on the trail or trails specified in our reservation. Going off the trail is not allowed. Hiking or snowshoes only, no bikes or horses.
4. The group will stay together as a group with appropriate distancing, and if we see other people on the land, the group will maintain a wide distance of at least 50 feet from them. Splitting up or changing groups is not allowed.
5. Staying far from wildlife encountered, and making noise in areas where animals may be hidden to not surprise them. Moose can be anywhere, and are dangerous if they feel surprised, cornered, or otherwise threatened. Check yourself for ticks, and do not keep any food or cosmetics in your car, which must be locked: the bears are out now too.
6. The lodge is closed and locked, so bring what you need: food, water, toilet paper, first aid kit, etc. While you can urinate anywhere, bury feces at least 6” deep in soil, and bring out any used toilet paper. Do not bury toilet paper, it won’t decompose but will get dug up by animals.
7. Only people over the age of 18, or children who stay in close proximity to their parents are allowed. YOU MAY NOT BRING YOUR DOG, EVEN IF IT IS A SUPPORT OR SERVICE ANIMAL. We are sorry, but this is an absolute rule. Moose freak out and can become deadly if they hear, see or smell a dog.
8. DOGS, PETS, ANIMALS, and HORSES are NOT ALLOWED at RMERC, NOT EVEN in your CAR.
I understand any violation of the above rules constitutes criminal trespass of private property, and violations will be prosecuted.
Please inform RMERC if you see someone on the land violating any of the above. Photos of people, cars, license plate numbers, etc. are requested. We want to prevent anyone from compromising everyone else’s safety and experience of solitude; and if outsiders are on the land we need to know.
INFORMED CONSENT, RELEASE, AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK
In consideration of RMERC, a Colorado Not for Profit Corporation, its employees, staff, volunteers, and board of directors, including any independent contractors working at or for RMERC, (hereafter all referred to collectively as “RMERC”), I hereby agree to completely release, indemnify, and discharge RMERC, on behalf of myself, and my organization, children, my parents, my heirs, assigns, personal representative and estate as follows:
1. I acknowledge that my being at and hiking at RMERC, and related activities, including being in nature or wilderness, meditating, driving or riding in vehicles, walking, hiking, swimming, bathing, climbing or scrambling, entails known and unanticipated risks which could result in physical or emotional injury, paralysis, dismemberment, death, infection, disease, catching COVID 19, or damage or loss of property. I understand that such risks are inherent in and part of the essential qualities of being at RMERC and cannot all be removed. Furthermore, RMERC is closed, unstaffed and the buildings locked at this time, no phone or facilities are available, and RMERC is neither providing nor responsible for providing me with teachers, guides, training, and supervision; and in being at and doing a hike at RMERC I am totally responsible for my own health, safety, actions, fitness and abilities. RMERC is not responsible for the weather, the elements, my capacities, or the environment.
2. Hiking at RMERC can be dangerous and have risks, especially when there are no other people around. The trails have not been maintained since the fall, and may be blocked by tree fall or have other hazards, be poorly or not at all marked, hard to follow, covered with snow, or slippery and muddy. Bears, moose, mountain lions, and other wild animals are hungry and moving around. I acknowledge this, and agree that RMERC shall have no liability for my health and safety, including but not limited to: getting lost, separated, steep terrain, weather, forces and acts of nature, rock fall, tripping, slipping, falling; exposure to humans, insects, ticks, snake and animal attacks; bites, maulings, or stings, communicable disease, COVID 19, the risks of altitude, wind, wet, cold, heat, sun, dehydration, hypothermia, drowning, burns, food poisoning, my physical or mental condition, crime, civil unrest, fire including wild fire and building fire, vandalism; injury or illness in close or remote areas, without means of rapid evacuation, communication, or obtaining adequate medical care, or a lack of medical training, experience, supplies, or facilities.
3. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks and dangers of my being and hiking on the RMERC land, which is purely voluntary, and I elect to participate in spite of the risks. I warrant that I have the information, skills and experience; and emotional, mental and physical health and strength, to participate safely.
4. I hereby voluntarily release, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless RMERC from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action, which are in any way connected with my hiking and being there, including any such claims which allege negligent acts or omissions.
5. Should RMERC or anyone acting on their behalf, be required to incur attorney's fees and costs to enforce this agreement, I agree to indemnify and hold them harmless for all such fees and costs.
6. I certify that I have insurance to cover any injury, illness, accident or damage I may cause or suffer while participating, or else I agree to bear any such costs myself. I further certify I have no medical, mental or physical conditions that could interfere with my or others health or safety, or else I am willing to assume - and bear the costs of - all risks that may be created, directly or indirectly, by any such condition. I agree that if any portion of this agreement is found to be void or unenforceable, the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect. By signing this document, I acknowledge that if I or anyone else is hurt or has property damaged on or as a result of my being at RMERC, it is my express intention that I would be found by a court of law to have herein waived my rights to maintain a Lawsuit against RMERC. I have had sufficient opportunity to read this entire document, I have read and understood it, I agree to be bound by its terms, and my relatives, heirs, estate, and assigns be bound too.